We’re in the middle of the holiday season, and hope all our friends and supporters are enjoying time with family and friends! We know this can be an incredibly busy time of year, so remember to slow down and soak in the memories and fun whenever possible! This is also a difficult time for those families who have been impacted by substance use or loss due to the disease of addiction. We offer our support and encouragement to any families currently dealing with substance use in their own homes, or in the lives of the people closest to them. One of the best ways to help those that we care about is to simply be there as a listening ear and caring friend. Difficult times are made much harder when family members feel they are isolated and alone. Reach out to the people you care about and let them know you are there for them – especially if they are currently dealing with hard times! You’ll never know how much a kind word, a listening ear, and an open heart can make a difference for someone else!
The holidays bring families together so here are a few tips to help fill the upcoming days with cheer!
- Set aside time to just relax. Don’t fill your entire day marking off to-do list items. So, make sure to take a break from the cleaning and cooking to relax and play games, watch tv, or read!
- Get out of the house. Just because it’s a time to be with family doesn’t mean you have to cram all your extended family in the house all day. Get outside, go visit a local attraction, or just go for a walk together.
- Avoid negativity and criticism. It can be hard when there’s a lot of people all together, that may not see each other often. Instead of focusing on things you dislike, try and remain positive. Even if you’re thinking someone not so pleasant, try and keep it to yourself or let it go.
- Remember why we’re all celebrating. The holidays can be tough but take a moment to be grateful for all you have. Try and give back to your community and the people in it, if you can. Donate your time and energy to those less fortunate and see the positive impact it has on your day!
- Enjoy it and remember, all the hustle and bustle will slow down soon, you’ve got this!
The GPP Team